Saturday 22 December 2012

Dani Harmer backs Strictly Come Dancing rival Denise Van Outen


EXCLUSIVE 'Everyone has done the odd ballet class... it's unfair to pick on her': Dani Harmer backs Strictly Come Dancing rival Denise Van Outen 


Aiming for the Glitterball Trophy: Dani Harmer is competing in the Strictly Come Dancing final on Saturday night
Aiming for the Glitterball Trophy: Dani Harmer is competing in the Strictly Come Dancing final on Saturday night
She's the 'pocket rocket' who has wowed judges and audiences alike with her skills on Strictly Come Dancing to land herself a place in the show's final alongside Denise Van Outen, Kimberley Walsh and Louis Smith. 
And Dani Harmer has spoken out in support of her fellow finalist Denise, amid criticism that she has an unfair advantage over the others due to her stage school training and background in musical theatre. 
In an exclusive interview with MailOnline, Dani said: 'Everyone has done the odd ballet class so it's unfair to pick on Denise. Ballroom is completely different to anything she, or any of us, have done before.'
In spite of Saturday night's final now being just a matter of hours away, the 23-year-old actress has insisted she is just enjoying herself as the competition draws to a close, as any of the final four deserve to win. 
Dani - who is partnered alongside Vincent Simone on the BBC One show - added: 'It's really nice this week, there's no pressure as there's no dance-off so I'm just going to enjoy myself. 
'I'll be so sad to leave the competition though, I got really teary at the last training session. It's definitely going to be an emotional evening on Saturday. 
'Any one of us could win and any of us deserves to win, I'll be excited to see any of us lift the Glitterball Trophy. I never in a million years thought I would get this far. 
'I know I had rhythm and could pick up a routine fairly easily, but I thought I'd be voted out halfway through or something. Every single week is a bonus.'
Showbiz pals: Dani and her fellow finalist, Kimberley Walsh, paid a visit to DJ Chris Evans and the Radio 2 studios on Friday morning
Showbiz pals: Dani and her fellow finalist, Kimberley Walsh, paid a visit to DJ Chris Evans and the Radio 2 studios on Friday morning
Showing his support: The girls then hot-footed it to Nick Grimshaw over at Radio 1
Showing his support: The girls then hot-footed it to Nick Grimshaw over at Radio 1
Although her fellow contestants have suffered injuries in the last week, Dani - who shot to fame at the tender age of 13, starring in The Story Of Tracy Beaker - has managed to escape relatively pain-free.
But she admitted her body is 'struggling' with the effects of the physically demanding competition. 
She explained to MailOnline: 'I feel really sorry for the others with their injuries. I've got a hell of a lot of bruises and strained muscles. My body is struggling now we're at the end of the competition, and I feel pretty battered and bruised to be honest.' 
'Unfair': Dani stuck up for fellow finalist Denise Van Outen, pictured with her partner James Jordan, amid criticism that she has an unfair advantage over the others due to her stage school training and background in musical theatre
'Unfair': Dani stuck up for fellow finalist Denise Van Outen, pictured with her partner James Jordan, amid criticism that she has an unfair advantage over the others due to her stage school training and background in musical theatre
At the start of the competition, the diminutive brunette was the victim of vile abuse by cruel Twitter trolls taunting her for her weight, but the size six star now attributes the negative comments to 'jealousy'.
She said: 'I haven't had anything negative for months. People seem to have left me alone now they see I'm getting on with it. It was hurtful at the start; sometimes when you're on TV people think they can say whatever they want to you. It doesn't mean they have the right to criticise me. 
'I just got on with it, I know what size I am so it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, I put it down to jealousy.'
Hard at work: Dani and her professional partner Vincent Simone have just been trying to enjoy the final week of the competition, rather than stress about Saturday night's show
Hard at work: Dani and her professional partner Vincent Simone have just been trying to enjoy the final week of the competition, rather than stress about Saturday night's show
Dani has also seen her style totally overhauled during her time on the BBC One show, swapping jeans and trainers for glitzy dresses and sequins. 
She joked: 'I'm a tomboy and I literally never wear dresses but Strictly has turned me into a crazy glitter addict.'
The former child star is now set to star in pantomime in York from Sunday onwards and while she admits Strictly has been the 'best experience' of her life, she has had her fill of reality television for the time being. 
'Struggling': The diminutive star admitted her body is 'bruised and battered' now the physically demanding show has taken its toll
'Struggling': The diminutive star admitted her body is 'bruised and battered' now the physically demanding show has taken its toll
Dani told MailOnline: 'It's honestly been the best experience of my life and I have no idea what I'm going to do on Monday knowing I won't be getting up to dance. 
'We've lived in each other's pockets for the past 10 weeks and it upsets me to think I'm not going to be seeing these people all the time, especially Vincent. 
'I've had my dose of reality TV for now, I came on Strictly because I wanted to learn a skill and I feel I've done that. I don't know if I'll bust out a quickstep in a nightclub, but I really do love it. I think i would drive myself crazy in the jungle or the Big Brother house.'
Strictly Come Dancing final is on BBC One on Saturday 22nd December at 6.30-7.55pm and 8.50-10.05pm.
Moving on: Dani admitted she hasn't suffered from Twitter taunts for some time, but put cruel remarks about her slim figure down to 'jealousy'
Moving on: Dani admitted she hasn't suffered from Twitter taunts for some time, but put cruel remarks about her slim figure down to 'jealousy'


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2251686/Strictly-Come-Dancing-2012-Dani-Harmer-backs-rival-Denise-Van-Outen-ahead-final.html#ixzz2FjkRw3PE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook